1. What duty does God require of children?
“Honor thy father and thy mother,” Exodus 20:12.
2. How are parents instructed to teach their children?
“And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: and thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up,” Deuteronomy 6:6, 7.
3. How does God regard those parents who enforce obedience?
“For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which He hath spoken of him,” Genesis 18:19.
4. How should parents train their children?
“Train up [margin, catechize] a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it,” Proverbs 22:6; see also Ephesians 6:4.
5. What encouragement have parents to correct their children? Does this result in happiness?
“Correct thy son, and he shall give thee rest; yea, he shall give delight unto thy soul,” Proverbs 29:17; 22:15.
6. What will result if correction is withheld?
“The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame,” Proverbs 29:15.
7. By proper correction what profit will come to the child?
“Withhold not correction from the child; for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell,” Proverbs 23:13, 14.
8. Is there danger of delaying correction too long?
“Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying,” Proverbs 19:18.
9. Because a parent corrects his child, is it evidence that he does not love him?
“He that spareth his rod hateth his son; but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes,” Proverbs 13:24.
10. In correcting the child, what should the father guard against?
“Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged,” Colossians 3:21.
11. What consideration should the young ever show to the aged?
“Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the Lord,” Leviticus 19:32.
12. Is the Lord pleased with children who obey their parents?
“Children, obey your parents in all things; for this is well pleasing unto the Lord,” Colossians 3:20.
13. How long does the command to honor parents bind sons and daughters?
“Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old,” Proverbs 23:22.
14. What is to be one of the prominent sins of the last days?
“For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,” II Timothy 3:2.