1. How many angels with special messages were seen in prophetic vision, before the coming of the Lord?
“And there followed another angel, saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead or in his hand,” Revelation 14:8, 9.
NOTE: The book of Revelation contains many symbols and types, and we cannot expect that these were actual angels flying in heaven, but an angel represents a messenger, or a message. Many angels were shown to John when this wonderful book of Revelation was given, which gives rise to the expression, “And I saw another angel,” (verse 9) when speaking of the first angel’s message. It is a fact, however, that these three were special and verse nine speaks definitely of the last one saying, “the third angel followed them.”
2. What is especially said regarding the voice proclaiming the warning message, which just precedes the end of the age?
“And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice . . .” Revelation 14:9, first part of verse.
3. What will be the fate of those who worship the beast, and disregard this special message sent of the Lord?
“The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb,” Revelation 14:10.
4. What certain doctrinal belief distinguishes the ones who heed the warning from those who do not?
“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus,” Revelation 14:12.
NOTE: The church that carries the last message to the world must be one that teaches the binding force of the ten commandments of God, together with the faith and testimonies of Jesus. It is utterly impossible for any church which teaches that the commandments of God are abolished and nailed to the cross, to carry the last message to the world. The Church of God is the body of people called to carry forth this wonderful work, and there is no other church in the world with the special message of the Commandments of God and the testimonies of Jesus, which is sounding forth the warning against the beast power, taking up the prophecies and fully explaining their nature, and teaching people what the beast represents.
The commandments of God and the testimonies of Jesus, and not the testimonies of any common man or woman, make up the message, that goes to the world just preceding the coming of the Lord. This message must also carry with it the gospel of the kingdom, according to Daniel the prophet, that “In the days of these kings” the God of heaven would set up His kingdom.
5. When the last message is finished, which is a warning to the world against receiving the mark of the beast and his image, what is the first of the series of scourging plagues that torment the ones who disregard it?
“And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth. And the first went, and poured out his vial upon the earth; and there fell a noisome and grievous sore upon the men which had the mark of the beast, and upon them which worshiped his image,” Revelation 16:1, 2.
NOTE: It will be noted that the last plagues cannot fall until after the Third Angel’s Message is finished, as the first plague falls on the people who have heard, but refused to heed the warning of this messenger.
6. During this time, will not the ones keeping the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus, having the victory over the beast and his image, be protected and cared for under the power of the Almighty?
“And I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels having the seven last plagues; for in them is filled up the wrath of God. And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire: and them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass, having the harps of God. And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying Great and marvelous are thy works, Lord God Almighty, just and true are thy ways, thou King of saints,” Revelation 15:1, 2, 3.
NOTE: We cannot take up one chapter of the Revelations after another as a series of events following in order, for they are not so arranged. Events follow in their order, always leading to the coming of the Lord and the judgment. This climax is often reached right in the middle of the chapter, and then other events are narrated that transpire along another line, but come in before the end is ushered in. It is this way with the 14th chapter. The 15th and 16th chapters, both narrate events that happen after the Third Angel’s Message has gone forth, and then lead down to the battle of Armageddon, and the coming of the Lord.
7. What great event transpires following the Third Angel’s Message, and also at the conclusion of the seven plagues?
“And I looked and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle,” Revelation 14:14.
“Behold, I come as a thief, Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame,” Revelation 16:15.
8. What similar events also follow in their order, found by comparing verses 19, 20 of each chapter?
“And the angel thrust in his sickle into the earth, and gathered the vine of the earth, and cast it into the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trodden without the city, and blood came out of the winepress even unto the horse bridles, by the space of a thousand and six hundred furlongs,” Revelation 14:19, 20.
“And the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell: and great Babylon came into remembrance before God, to give unto her the cup of the wine of the fierceness of his wrath. And every island fled away, and the mountains were not found,” Revelation 16:19, 20.
9. Bible students agree that God has never sent destruction on the earth, or on any city without first preparing the people for it, by sending messengers and giving them warning. It was so with the flood, with the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, and what does the prophet Nahum say will be seen in the streets, when God is likewise preparing the world for the pending judgment?
“The shield of his mighty men is made red, the valiant men are in scarlet: the chariots shall be with flaming torches in the day of his preparation, and the fir trees shall be terribly shaken,” Nahum 2:3.
NOTE: Attention is particularly called to the statement in this verse that chariots will rage in the streets, at the time of God’s preparation. Today the work of preparing the world for the coming of the Lord is speedily going forth. The last message of warning is being sent out, and a select company of meek, obedient people are being called out of all churches, preparing themselves for translation when Jesus comes in glory.
10. What will also be included in the Third Angel’s message, concerning churches that are following after the beast power?
“Come out of her, My people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues,” Revelation 18:4.
11. By comparing verse 2 of this chapter with verse 8 of chapter 14, will it not be seen that these messages are identical, both describing the second and the third angels’ message?
NOTE: There is no question; but, after a thorough consideration is given all texts concerned, that the First Angel’s Message embraces the proclamation of the everlasting gospel in the apostolic age, which continues to the end. The Second Angel’s message includes the great Protestant reformation which illuminated the earth with light and was a direct cry against the corruption of Babylon, while the Third Angel’s Message sounds forth the final warning to the world, taking with it all accompanying light as yet unrevealed, preparing a people who will worship God “in spirit and in truth.”