1. Is the destruction of the two Japanese cities, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki, the first record we have of big cities being destroyed by fire and brimstone?
“Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven; and He overthrew those cities, and all the plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and that which grew upon the ground,” Genesis 19:24, 25.
2. Why were these cities so completely destroyed by fire and brimstone?
“And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come up unto me; and if not, I will know,” Genesis 18:20, 21.
3. Had there been found many righteous people in these cities, would the Lord have destroyed them?
The Lord said, “I will not destroy it for twenty’s sake . . . . I will not destroy it for ten sake,” Genesis 18:31, 32.
4. What did the Lord say about Sodom and Gomorrah being set forth as examples to other cities that afterwards would live ungodly?
“And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly,” II Peter 2:6.
“Even as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, and set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire,” Jude 7.
NOTE: It is evident that we are now entering the period of destruction upon cities similar to that visited upon Sodom and Gomorrah. The world was shocked over the terrible destruction of two cities in Japan, which brought an abrupt close to World War II. Jewish scientists in the year 1932 were extracting this substance, or one very similar, from the Dead Sea, which they said at that time they believed was the fire and brimstone God rained upon Sodom and Gomorrah. It is a known fact that Sodom and Gomorrah, located in the valley on the bank of the Dead Sea, both sunk and were covered by the salty waters of that sea.
5. Has God a reserve supply of this unquenchable fire which He will use at the appointed time to again punish wicked men, and destroy evil power and ungodly cities?
“And I will rain upon him, and upon his bands . . . . an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone,” Ezekiel 38:22.
“For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch,” Malachi 4:1.
6. Is this burning day to be just one of twenty-four hours, or how long a time has the Lord appointed to do this purging and cleansing work with fire?
“But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. BUT, beloved, BE NOT IGNORANT of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day,” II Peter 3:7, 8.
7. Where else do we find mention made of this one thousand year period to be given over to the judging of the world?
“And I saw thrones, and they that sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them . . .
and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years,” Revelation 20:4.
“Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years,” verse 6.
8. Where will these kings and priests reign?
“And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth,” Revelation 5:10.
NOTE: It will be during this one thousand year judgment day that the example of Sodom and Gomorrah will again be seen, for they are especially set forth as examples of other cities to suffer the same fate. Whole districts and cities will be visited with fire and brimstone during this burning day, and the world will be on fire in various countries and districts, while others will be about as usual. During this judgment period, known as the age of restitution (Acts 3:19-21), the entire world will be cleansed by fire.
9. Will it be possible during this time for the great steel works, iron engines, and metal construction by man to be burned up?
“But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works therein shall be burned up,” II Peter 3:10.
NOTE: The substance they were extracting from the Dead Sea, as stated above, would burn steel and iron, turning it instantly into a gas.