Lesson for December 9.
CONTENTION – A TOOL OF SATAN
“A house divided against itself cannot stand,” Christ said. This well-known truth is especially applicable to the Church today. Contention and division are everywhere and are tools Satan uses to make God’s people weak. The Bible teaches strongly against strife and contention among the brethren. Christ is looking for a people who follow his example in brotherly love. Christ was very concerned about this in His prayer for His followers. His greatest desire was that, “They all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one. . .I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one.” (John 17:21-23.)
The very testimony of our unity will cause the world to know that the Gospel which we profess is true. On the other hand, if God’s people become known for contention and strife, this will reflect negatively on Christ’s cause. As we study what the Bible has to say on this important subject, let us endeavor to purge our hearts of all contentious thoughts and unite in the perfect Will of God.
Scripture Reading: 1 Thessalonians 5:9-15.
Memory Verse: 1 Corinthians 11:16.
- What causes fighting and contention? James 4:1; Proverbs 26:21; Proverbs 22:10; Proverbs 13:10.
- Do even some who profess Christ sow seeds of contention? Philippians 1:15,16.
- Does the Bible encourage debating over minor issues of doctrine? Titus 3:9.
- What should you do when another challenges you in a contentious manner? 1 Peter 3:8-11.
- What distinguishes a wise man in the eys of God? James 3:13-18.
- What distinguishes a foolish man? Proverbs 18:6-8.
- To what is peace likened? Mark 9:50.
NOTE: In the above Scripture, peace is compared to the flavor of salt. Just as salt without its flavor is useless, so the Gospel without peace is useless and ineffectual, and becomes a bitter pill to swallow.
- How will the world know that we are the children of God? Matthew 5:9.