Lesson for July 6, 2019.
A SACRED ORDINANCE
Scripture Reading: Genesis 2:18-25.
Memory Verse: Matthew 19:5.
- After the good Lord had created man and provided him with perfect surroundings, what did He feel was needed to complete his happiness? Genesis 2:18, and Verses 21-23.
Note: God instituted the first marriage, Thus the institution has for its originator the Creator of the universe. It was one of the first gifts of God to man, and it is one of the two institutions that after the fall, Adam brought with him beyond the gate of Paradise. When the Divine Principles are recognized and obeyed in this relationship, marriage is a blessing; it guards the purity and the happiness of the human race; provides for mans social needs; and elevates the physical, the intellectual, and the moral nature.
- For what purpose besides companionship was the first union ordained? Genesis 1:28.
- Was the ordinance of marriage carried into the New Testament era? Matthew 19:4,5; Ephesians 5:31.
Note: The family tie is the closest, most sacred, and the most tender tie on earth. It was designed to be a blessing to mankind. It is a blessing indeed wherever the marriage covenant is entered into intelligently, in the fear of God, and with due consideration for its responsibilities.
- What wedding did Jesus grace with His presence? John 2:1,2.
- In what honor, therefore, should the marriage estate be held? Hebrews 13:4.
- Why are many marriages unhappy? 2 Corinthians 6:14,15.
- What marriages did God prohibit among the Israelites? Deuteronomy 7:3,4.
- What proper care did Abraham show in seeking a wife for his son? Genesis 24:2-4.
- What high standard does the Scripture set for the relationship between husband and wife? Ephesians 5:25; Titus 2:4.
- How exclusively devoted should a husband and wife be to each other? Proverbs 5:15-18.
- What commandments were designed particularly to safeguard family life? Exodus 20:14,17.
- By what only may the marriage relationship be dissolved? Romans 7:1,2.
- When the marriage union is dissolved without compunction by the world, what endeavors should believers make to uphold the sanctity of marriage, even under provocation? 1 Corinthians 7:10,11.