Lesson for November 5, 2022
ISRAEL’S PUNISHMENT AND RESTORATION
Scripture reading: Leviticus 26:1-31.
Memory verse: Luke 21:24.
- What blessings and protection were promised to Israel if they obeyed the Lord? Leviticus 26:3-12.
- If they failed to obey, what would be their punishment? Verses 14-17.
- For what length of time would they be chastised? Verse 18.
- What expression shows the severity of God’s judgment on them? Verses 19, 21, 24, 28.
Note. The multiple use of the expression “seven times” does not mean literally seven times. “Seven” in the Scriptures means completeness of their chastisement; thus this is used in an emphatic sense to express tire Completeness of their chastisement. The seven times (a day for a year — Ezekiel 4:5, 6) or 2,520 began with the Babylon captivity under Nebuchadnezzar in 486 B.C., and ended with the evacuation of the Turks in General Allenby in World War 1, the year 1914.
- During these years what was said of their land? Leviticus 26:31-35.
- What would this severe punishment cause them to do? Verses 28, 29.
- What other expressions are used to show the severity of their punishment? Jeremiah 31:27, 28.
- During these years of captivity, how did they stand before God? Verses 35-37.
- What is said of their identity among the nations during this time? Isaiah 61:9.
- What is the real purpose of this affliction? Hosea 5:15.
- Why should God not destroy them utterly during these years? Leviticus 26:44, 45.
- What prophecy of David is now being fulfilled? Psalms 102:15, 16.