1. Regarding the wicked, what question does Peter ask?
“For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?” I Peter 4:17.
2. What does Paul say is the wages of sin?
“For the wages of sin is death,” Romans 6:23; Ezekiel 18:4. (Die._To cease to live; to expire; to decease; to perish._Webster.)
3. What will be the character of this death?
“Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of His power,” II Thessalonians 1:9; Acts 3:23; Matthew 10:28. (Destroy._To kill; to slay; to ruin; to extirpate; to put an end to._Webster.)
4. What does the Savior say will befall those who do not repent?
“I tell you Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish,” Luke 13:3; I Corinthians 1:18. (Perish._To die; to lose life; to wither and decay; to be destroyed; to come to nothing; to be blotted from existence._Webster.)
5. In what condition does the apostle say they shall thus perish?
“But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption,” II Peter 2:12.
6. To what are the wicked in their punishment compared?
“But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away,” Psalm 37:20. (Consume _ To destroy by separating the parts of a thing by decomposition, as by fire, etc.; to bring to utter ruin; to exterminate._ Webster.)
7. What will be the result of this punishment?
“As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation,” Proverbs 10:25.
8. Will any part of them be left?
“For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch,” Malachi 4:1.
9. What will then be their condition?
“For as ye have drunk upon my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yea, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been,” Obadiah 16.
10. Where will the place of the wicked then be?
“For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be,” Psalm 37:10.
11. The earth in its present condition is and has been the place of the wicked. Where will they receive their recompense, death, which is the wages of sin?
“Behold, the righteous shall be recompensed in the earth: much more the wicked and the sinner,” Proverbs 11:31.
12. How is this accomplished?
“And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them,” Revelation 20:9.
13. Do the wicked go directly to this punishment at death? If not, when do they receive it?
“The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished,” II Peter 2:9; Job 21:29, 30.
14. The earth, the sinner’s place, has been cursed with sin. To what is that reserved?
“But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men,” II Peter 3:7.
15. What will be the result of this fire on the earth?
“Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?” verse 12.
16. What does our Savior call the earth when in this condition?
“The Son of man shall send forth His angels, and they shall gather out of His Kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; and shall cast them into a furnace of fire,” Matthew 13:41, 42.
17. After the burning of the earth, what is to come?
“Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness,” II Peter 3:13.
18. But where will the righteous then be found?
“Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father,” Matthew 13:43.
19. What promise of the Savior’s will at that time be verified?
“Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth,” Matthew 5:5.
20. What universal song will be sung?
“And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honor, and glory, and power, be unto Him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever,” Revelation 5:13.