What Do We Believe?
People often ask us just what we believe. To answer this question, these 40 points of doctrine have been prepared, which cover the principle teachings of the Church of God.
What We Represent
These points of beliefs represent years and even lifetimes of study of the Scriptures on the part of dedicated men of God, who devoted their lives to “rightly dividing the Word of truth.” They are and have been the teaching of the Church of God for generations, and are in harmony with the doctrine as taught by Christ and apostles in the early days of the church.
All of these points of belief have been taken directly from the Bible ….. God’s Holy Word …. Which is our only guide; and scriptural reference are given after each one. Tracts are available on most of the subjects, and more information can be obtained by clicking here or by contacting us on contact page.
We Believe That:
- God, the Heavenly Father, is the creator of Heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in therein. ….. Genesis 1:1, Acts 17:24, Hebrews 1:10
- The Bible …. Both the Old and New Testaments …. Is the inspired Word of God; and is complete, and infallible, and expresses God’s will to mankind …… Deut 8:3, Luke 4:4, 2 Tim 3:16, 2 Peter 1:21
- The Seventh Day of the week is the Sabbath of the Lord, and is to be observed from even to even, from sunset to sunset. ….. Gen 2:1-3; Ex. 20:8-11, Acts 13:42-44, 18:4, Matt 28:1, Hebrews 4:4-11, Mark 1:32.
- Jesus of Nazareth (in Hebrew, Yehshua), our Savior, is the only begotten Son of God; born of the Virgin Mary, conceived of the Holy Ghost, with God the Father, before the world began. …… Matt 1:20-21; John 3:16, 17:5. He is our living Messiah, our High Priest and Mediator before the throne of God. …. 1 Tim 2:5.
- Jesus proved His Messiahship by remaining in the tomb exactly three days and three nights; being crucified in the midst of the week (the fourth day, Wednesday), and rising from the dead in the end of the Sabbath (Saturday). ….. Matt. 12:40, Dan 9:27, Matt. 28:1-6.
- The Christian’s life must be patterned after the example of the perfect man, Christ Jesus. …. 1 Peter 2:21, 22.
- Repentance and remission of sins through the shed blood of Jesus must be preached. … Acts 2:38.
- Conversion is necessary in order to be saved. …Acts 3:19.
- We must be baptized by immersion in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins. … Acts 2: 38, Mark 1:9, 10.
- Sanctification and holiness is commanded for the people of God. … Acts 20:32, Hebrews 12:14, 1 Peter 1:15, 16.
- There is power in the prayer of the righteous. … James 5:16, John 14:13, 14.
- The prayer of faith and anointing with oil will heal the sick. … James 5:14, 15.
- The laying on of hands is to be practiced. …. Acts 8:17, 6:6.
- The Holy Spirit is the comforter which abides in the believer, and is manifest by power and the fruit of the Holy Spirit. … Acts 2, Galatians 5:22-26. Manifestations regulated according to 1 Cor 14.
- Satan is a personality, and as the devil is an adversary of God and the children of God. … 1 Peter 5:8, 1 John 3:8, Jude 9, Matt. 4:1-11.
- Man was created perfect, but through disobedience fell, bringing imperfection, death, and God’s wrath upon mankind. … Gen. 3; 1 Cor. 15:21, 22.
- The Lord’s Supper is to be observed annually at the beginning of the 14th day of Nisan (Hebrew month), Jesus being our example. … Luke 22:7-20, 1 Cor. 11:23-26.
- The washing of the feet is to be observed in connection with the Lord’s Supper. … John 13:4, 5.
- The paying of tithes on all increase is a continued obligation. … Malachi 3:10, Matt 23:23. This portion of our earnings belongs to the Lord and should be placed in His work.
- The Law of God, the Ten Commandments should be taught and observed. … Romans 3:31, James 2:8-11, Rev 22:14.
- Sin is the transgression of the law. … 1 John 3:4.
- Justification from sin is through Christ Jesus alone. 1 Corinthians 6:11, Romans 4:25, 5:16-18.
- A Christian should dress modest, and should refrain from all worldliness. … 1 Timothy 2:9, 1 Cor 11:7, 14-15, 1 John 2:15, 16.
- All carnal warfare and the participation therein is condemn by the Lord. Matt. 5:38-39, 2 Cor 10:4, Exodus 20:13
- The law of the clean and the unclean meats is to be observed. … Leviticus 11.
- The use of intoxicating liquors, alcoholic stimulants, tobacco, or any habit forming or mind-bending drug is forbidden. 1 Cor 3:16-17, Proverbs 20:1.
- Jesus condemned divorce and remarriage as being the sin of adultery. A man is permitted to have only one living wife, and the woman only one living husband. .. Luke 16:18, Romans 7:2-3, 1 Tim 3:2.
- There is a final regathering of the dispersed of Israel back to their own land, one that is taking place now. .. Jer 16:14, 15, Amos 9:14-15.
- The third angel’s message is a present day message, and will continue to the advent of Jesus. … Rev 14:9-11.
- The seven last plagues are future and literal. … Rev 16.
- The return of Jesus will be literal, visible, personal and is imminent. … Matt 24: 27, Rev 1:7.
- The institution of the Kingdom of Heaven is at the return of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the throne of David will be established at Jerusalem in the person of Jesus Christ. … Isa 9:6-7, Luke 1:32, 33.
- Christ will return and fight in the battle of Armageddon. His coming will bring peace to the earth, and He will rule the world from Jerusalem during the 1,000 years of restoration (the Millennium). Zechariah 14, Revelation 20:4- 6, Micah 4:3-7.
- The righteous dead will be resurrected and rewarded at the coming of Jesus. …1 Thes 4:16, Rev 22:12.
- The meek shall inherit the earth and dwell therein forever. … Matt 5:5, Proverbs 10:30.
- After the 1,000 year restoration period, Christ will deliver the kingdom to God, the Father. It is then that the wicked will be resurrected to final judgment. … 1 Cor 15:22- 24, Rev 20, 21 and 22, John 5:28, 29.
- The wicked will be eternally destroyed. … Rev 20:11-15, Romans 6:16, 23.
- The inspired name for God’s called out assemble is the “Church of God”. … 1 Cor 1:2, 10:32, 11:16, 22, 15:9, 2Cor 1:1, Gal 1:13, 1 Thes 2:14, 2 Thes 1:4, 1 Tim 3:5, 15, Acts 20:28.
- Ministers of the Church of God are called “Elders” and are those disciples accepted into the ministry upon recommendation by an ordained Elder, through investigation, both from inside and outside the Church, as to character, his attributes as a Christian, his ability to teach, and his faithfulness in doctrine of the Church. No one being entangled in adultery may hold any office in the Church. … Acts 14:23, Titus 1:5-9; 1 Tim 3:1-5.
- The Overseers shall have general care over the Church as a whole, in States, territories or various countries, as need requires. … Acts 20:28.