1. In what especial way are we commanded to honor God?
“Honor the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thy increase,” Proverbs 3:9.
2. What portion of one’s income does the Lord term the first fruits?
“And all the tithe [tenth] of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, it is the Lord’s: it is holy unto the Lord,” Leviticus 27:30.
3. And what is said of the tithe of the herd or flock?
“And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the Lord,” Leviticus 27:32.
4. Who owns all the cattle and fowls of the earth?
“For every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills. I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are Mine,” Psalm 50:10, 11.
5. Also the gold and silver?
“The silver is Mine, and the gold is Mine, saith the Lord of hosts,” Haggai 2:8.
6. In fact, to whom does the earth, and its fullness belong?
“The earth is the Lord’s, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein,” Psalm 24:1.
7. What statement of Christ indicates that man is not owner, but only a keeper of God’s goods?
“For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods,” Matthew 25:14.
8. Who gives man power to get wealth?
“But thou shalt remember the Lord thy God: for it is He that giveth thee power to get wealth,” Deuteronomy 8:18.
NOTE: Since we find the world, and all that is therein belongs to God, and He being the one that gives man the power to get wealth, it would look reasonable that it is man’s duty to return some part to the Lord. He has only asked for the very small amount of ten cents on the dollar, which we find is for the purpose of spreading the gospel in these last days.
9. For whose support, and for what work were the tithes devoted in Israel?
“And behold, I have given the children of Levi all the tenth in Israel for an inheritance, for their service which they serve, even the service of the tabernacle of the congregation,” Numbers 18:21.
10. In what language does Paul approve of the same method of support for the gospel ministry?
“If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? . . . Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel must live of the gospel,” I Corinthians 9:11, 13, 14.
11. How early in earth’s history do we read of tithe paying?
“And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the Most High God. . . . And blessed be the Most High God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he [Abram] gave him tithes of all,” Genesis 14:18-20.
12. In what way does Paul refer to the same event?
“For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; to whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all,” Hebrews 7:1, 2.
13. After what order was Christ made a high priest?
“Whither the forerunning is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest forever after the order of Melchizedek,” Hebrews 6:20.
14. Did Christ approve of tithe paying?
“Ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone,” Matthew 23:23.
15. Does not Paul teach that the Gentiles should pay tithes?
“It hath pleased them verily: and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their [Gentiles] duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things,” Romans 15:27.
16. Of what is one guilty who withholds the tithes and offerings.
“Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed Me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed Thee? In tithes and offerings,” Malachi 3:8.
17. Concerning what does the Lord ask us to prove Him?
“Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in Mine house, and prove Me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it,” Malachi 3:10.