Lesson for August 14, 2021
THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT
Scripture Reading: Joshua 7.
Memory Verse: Ephesians 4:28.
- Why did Achan steal the Babylonish garment and the gold and silver? Joshua 7:21.
- How did Joshua warn the people; and did Achan know that he had sinned? Joshua 6:17-19.
- Does this prove that Achan’s heart was not right with God? Matthew 15:19.
Note. When Achan saw the gold and silver he coveted them; and took them for himself. The gold and the silver were consecrated, and were to be used in the work of the Lord. When Achan took that which was rightfully the Lord’s, he brought a curse upon himself and upon all that belonged to him.
- How exacting must we be in all of our dealings? Leviticus 19:35-37; 1 Thessalonians 4:4-8.
- What did two of the greatest Kings of Israel say about unjust gain; and borrowing without returning? Psalms 37:21; Proverbs 28.8.
- What did the prophet Jeremiah say about unjust dealings against one’s neighbour? Jeremiah 22:13.
- What portion of our increase belongs to God? Leviticus 27:30-32.
- Stealing from man is a very serious offence, and the jails and houses of correction are full of people who have committed this grave sin. How about stealing from the Lord our God? Will the good Lord leave such a one unpunished? Malachi 3:9.
- What sin are people guilty of when they fail to give the Holy portion of their increase unto the Lord? Malachi 3:8.
Note. Whenever a person who has stolen money or goods is found out, they are punished for their evil deed. Those who steal the Holy tithes from the Lord, shall also be punished. The Scriptures tell us about a certain class of people who gather money and put it into bags which have holes, let us not be numbered among these.
- Does the Lord our God bless those who are faithful in paying the Holy tithes? Malachi 3:10.
- Has the Lord promised to rebuke the devourer for our sake if we are faithful tithe payers? Malachi 3:11.