Lesson for December 10, 2022
THE CONTROVERSY OVER ZION
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 34:1-8; Jeremiah 25:30-38
Memory Verse: Isaiah 34:8
- To whom is the prophet speaking, and how general is this warning? Isaiah 34:1.
- What will happen to all of the armies of the earth? Isaiah 34:2.
- During this period of destruction, or near its conclusion what is said about the hosts of heaven? Isaiah 34:4. Compare with Revelation 6:13, 14.
- What is said about the destruction of Idumea (Edom) or the descendants of Esau? Isaiah 34:5.
- What does the prophet tell us further about their destruction and the land being soaked with blood? Isaiah 34:6, 7. Compare with Revelation 14:19, 20.
- What does the prophet inform us about the cause of this terrible time of destruction, in its relation to Zion? Isaiah 34:8.
Note. As the spot-light of the world is focused on the Middle East, we plainly see this controversy rising. This controversy over Zion will continue with increasing intensity until the end.
- What has the prophet Obadiah also informed us concerning this controversy and the final outcome? Obadiah 1:15-18.
- Why is this recompense of destruction pronounced upon these people? What was their offense? Obadiah 10, 11, 13.
Note. The statement is made in Obadiah 15, “As thou hast done, it shall be done unto thee.” The Gentile nations today have drifted just as far away from the path of righteousness, as the Jews ever did. They are committing the same offenses against heaven and will therefore suffer similar calamity.
- What will be the final outcome of this controversy? Zechariah 9; Joel 3:1, 2, 16; Zechariah 14:1-3.