Lesson for December 28, 2019
SCRIPTURAL PROOF THAT CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD
Note. There were over 250 text of Old Testament scripture fulfilled in the events of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ the Messiah. Besides His great miraculous power in healing the sick and raising the dead, Jesus fulfilled all the prophecies concerning the promised Jewish Messiah.
Scripture reading: 1 Cor. 15:1-9; John 5:38-47.
Memory verse: John 5:46
- What part of the scriptures is referred to in John 5:38?
- Did Paul declare that our Saviour came according to the Old Testament? 1 Cor. 15:3,4
- Was the Messiah, for whom the Jews look today, to come as a mighty ruler, or was He to come as a child? Isa. 7:14, 16; 9:6,7; 11:1.
Note. The sign was that a virgin would conceive and bring forth this child, and also that the land would be deprived of both kings before he would be old enough to know good and evil. Herod died (Matt. 2:14, 15) and Archelaus reigned in his place and was also deposed, before the Christ child was six years of age according to all historical accounts.
- Where was He to be born? Micah 5:2; Matt. 2:1-5.
- Was Christ Jesus to be cut off and slain, or was he to restore the kingdom? Dan. 9:26 (first part).
- What was to happen to Jerusalem after He was cut off? Was the land to be desolate? Dan. 9:26(last part.)
Note. If the first coming of the Messiah is yet future, then Jerusalem is to be destroyed again and the Holy Land to become desolated. The fact the desolation of Jerusalem has already happened (when the Roman General Titus destroyed the city in 70 A.D) means that, according to prophecy, the Messiah has already come.
- The Messiah was to be numbered with the transgressors and buried with the rich. Was this fulfilled in Christ’s death? Mark 15:27, 28; Matt. 27:57-60.
- What is still another prophecy, fulfilled in His crucifixion? Matt. 27:34-36. Compare with Psalms 22:17, 18.
Upcoming lessons can be downloaded from this link!