Lesson for January 2, 2021
THE GENEALOGY AND CONCEPTION OF JESUS
Scripture reading: Matthew 1.
Memory verse: Matthew 1:23.
- How is the beginning of Matthew designated? Whose son is Jesus said to be? Matthew 1:1.
- What does Luke say about this? Luke 1:30-33.
- Who was the last of Christ’s genealogy to be mentioned? Matthew 1:16.
- How many generations are there from Abraham to David; from David to the captivity in Babylon, and from thence to Christ? Verse 17.
- What was the relationship between Joseph and Mary before the birth of Jesus? Verse 18.
- What was the character of Joseph? What did he intend to do on this occasion? Verse 19.
- How was he prevented from carrying out his design? Of what was he assured? Verse 20.
- Who did the angel say Mary would bear? Verse 21.
- With what was all this in accordance? Verse 22.
- What did Isaiah prophesy about this? Verse 23.
- What has Paul to say of this fulfillment? 1Timothy 3:16.
- What was Joseph’s attitude after this dream? Matthew 1:24.
- What name was given the Christ Child? Verse 25.
- How is the importance of this name emphasized? Acts4:10-12;Philippians 2:9-11.