Lesson for May 12, 2018
THE NEW COVENANT
Scripture reading: Acts 3:12-26.
Memory verse: Acts 3:25.
- How did the prophet Malachi describe the messenger of the new covenant? Mal. 3:1-3.
- What did Moses prophesy about the messenger of the covenant? What did he say would happen to all those who would refuse to hear this messenger? Deut. 18:18-19; Acts 3:22, 23.
- With what prophetic words did John the Baptist testify about the ministry of Jesus? Matt. 3:11, 12.
- Was the first covenant faultless? Heb. 8:7-10.
- How did the apostle Paul describe the ministry of the messenger of the new covenant? Heb. 7:22, 24, 25, 8: 1, 2, 6.
- How long was the first covenant to be effective? Gal. 3:19.
- Have any of the ordinances of the old covenant been carried over into the era of the new covenant? Heb. 8:13; Gal. 2:14-16.
- What comparison did Paul make between the continual offering for sin under the old covenant and the supreme sacrifice? Heb. 9:1, 7-10, 14, 15.
- During Paul’s ministry did some brethren try to persuade the church to continue in the observance of the old covenant? Acts 15:1, 5, 24; Gal. 2:4.
- How did Paul rebuke these false teachers (brethren)? Acts 15, 5, 10, 11, 28, 29.
- Under the new covenant, who is the believer’s mediator? 1 Tim. 2:5, 6; Heb. 9:24.
- What did Paul say regarding the observance of any part of the old covenant? Gal. 3:9, 10.
- What has the messenger of the new covenant promised to all who accept Him as the complete remedy for sin? Heb. 9:28, 13:20, 21.
Note. — Christ Jesus left heaven’s glory and came to earth, where His life’s blood was poured out upon calvary’s cross. Let us rejoice and praise God for this marvelous manifestation of love. We should glory in this new covenant and not attempt to keep the old covenant, which was done away in Christ Jesus.