Lesson for October 16, 2021
CHRIST THE GREAT TEACHER
Scripture reading: Matthew 5:1-16
Memory verse: Matthew 7:29.
- What report did the officers bring who were sent out by the chief priests and Pharisees to take Jesus? John 7:45-47.
- How did Jesus teach people? Matthew 7:29.
- Why were the teachings of Christ so impressive? Luke 4:32-36.
- What prophecy foretold how Jesus would teach? Psalms 78:2.
- How was this fulfilled? Matthew 13:34, 35.
- What was about Christ’s teachings that astonished the people of Nazareth? Matthew 13:54, 55.
- Did a certain class of people enjoy this kind of teaching? Matthew 13:57.
- What did Isaiah say about Christ’s attitude toward The Law of God? Isaiah 42:21.
- Did Christ do as was prophesied? Matthew 5:17-20.
Note. The religious people in Christ’s time believed in keeping the letter of The Law — the outward deeds that showed. However, Christ requires purification — to be reborn in The Spirit. In Matthew 3:15 we are told that Christ fulfilled all righteousness. And so it is also with The Law. He did not do away with righteousness or destroy or end righteousness — (or The Law). He made “The Way” for everyone of earth’s children to be fulfilled in righteousness — His Righteousness; His Grace; His Glory within our hearts. Only then do we have victory over the curse of sin and death —- transgression of The Law. We are no longer under the penalty of breaking The Law; of carnality; or sold under sin; — but are freed from death, (the wages of sin, Romans 6:23) — freed through Calvary and even our very nature has been changed.
- Did Christ magnify The Law of His Father? Matthew 5:21, 22, 27, 28.
- What lesson was Christ setting before the people? Matthew 5:8.
Note. Jesus here taught the people, that since His coming, impure thoughts are as much a violation of The Law of God as evil actions were a violation during the old dispensation.
- By whose authority did Christ speak? John 12:49, 50.
- How are the followers of Christ commanded to speak? Titus 2:12-15; 2 Timothy 4:1, 2.