Lesson for September 5, 2020
Scripture reading: Leviticus 26:1-31.
Memory verse: Luke 21:24.
- What blessings and protection were promised to Israel if they obeyed the Lord? Leviticus 26:3-12.
- If they failed to obey, what would be their punishment? Verses 14-17.
- For what length of time would they be chastised? Verse 18.
- What expression shows the severity of God’s judgment on them? Verses 19, 21, 24, 28.
Note. – The multiple use of the expression “seven times” does not mean literally seven times. “Seven” in the Scriptures means completeness of their chastisement; thus this is used in an emphatic sense to express tire Completeness of their chastisement. The seven times (a day for a year — Ezekiel 4:5, 6) or 2,520 with the Babylon captivity under Nebuchadnezzar in 486 B.C., and ended with the evacuation of the Turks in General Allenby in World War 1, the year 1914.
- During these years what was said of their land? Leviticus 26:31-35.
- What would this severe punishment cause them to do? Verses 28, 29.
- What other expressions are used to show the severity of their punishment? Jeremiah 31:27, 28.
- During these years of captivity, how did they stand before God? Verses 35-37.
- What is said of their identity among the nations during this time? Isaiah 61:9.
- What is the real purpose of this affliction? Hosea 5:15.
- Why should God not destroy them utterly during these years? Leviticus 26:44, 45.
- What prophecy of David is now being fulfilled? Psalms 102:15, 16.