1. Does the apostle Paul in his writings speak of a family in heaven?
“For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,” Ephesians 3:14, 15.
2. Since Paul speaks of a family in heaven, by what name are the members commonly called?
“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven,” Matthew 18:10.
3. In the Revelation of Christ what is said about the number of these beings?
“And I beheld, and I heard the voices of many angels round about the throne and the beasts and the elders: and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands,” Revelation 5:11.
4. Does the apostle agree with Christ as to their number?
“But ye are come unto Mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,” Hebrews 12:22.
5. What is said regarding man’s equality with the angels?
“For Thou hast made him a little lower than the angels,” Psalm 8:5.
6. Have we any other proof that angels are higher beings than man?
“That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father which is in heaven,” Matthew 18:10.
7. Seeing that angels behold the face of God, is man allowed this privilege?
“No man hath seen God at any time,” John 1:18.
And He said, Thou canst not see My face: for there shall no man see Me, and live,” Exodus 33:20.
8. What is said of the strength and character of the angels?
“Bless the Lord, ye His angels, that excel in strength, that do His commandments, harkening unto the voice of His word,” Psalm 103:20.
9. As the angels are higher beings than man, to whom are they subject?
“Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto Him,” (Christ) I Peter 3:22.
10. Are the angels interested in the salvation of men?
“Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth,” Luke 15:10.
11. In what grand and noble work are the angels engaged?
“Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?” Hebrews 1:14.
12. Have we any Scripture indicating that each child of God has at least one accompanying angel?
“Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father which is in heaven,” Matthew 18:10.
13. How was Christ strengthened during His agony in Gethsemane?
“And there appeared an angel unto Him from heaven, strengthening Him,” Luke 22:43.
14. In what way did the angel assist at the resurrection of Christ?
“And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it,” Matthew 28:2.
15. What was the angel’s appearance?
“His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow,” Matthew 28:3.
16. What effect did he have on the Roman guards who were watching the tomb?
“And for fear of him the keepers did shake and became as dead men,” Matthew 28:4.
17. Have we other incidents where angels have ministered to God’s people?
“But the angel of the Lord by night opened the prison doors, and brought them forth,” Acts 5:19.
18. In what way did God protect the Hebrew children while in the fiery furnace?
“Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, who hath sent His angel, and delivered His servants that trusted in Him,” Daniel 3:28.
19. How was Daniel protected while in the den of lions?
“My God hath sent His angel, and hath shut the lions’ mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before Him innocency was found in me,” Daniel 6:22.
NOTE: Many other scriptures could be used to show how God has protected His people in the past, and how many times His people were in sore distress, yet at the critical moment angels appeared on the scene, and proclaimed deliverance to those in trouble. While we today are not able to behold them with the natural eye, yet we have the assurance of their presence with us at all times.
20. Have we any scripture to sustain the foregoing note?
“The angel of the Lord encampeth round about them that fear Him, and delivereth them,” Psalm 34:7.
21. In the great time of trouble that is coming, have we a promise that the angels will be present?
“Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked . . . There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. For He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways,” Psalm 91:8, 10, 11.
22. When Christ comes, who will come with Him?
“When the Son of man shall come in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him.,” Matthew 25:31.
23. What work will be connected with His coming?
“And before Him shall be gathered all nations: and He shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats,” Matthew 25:32.
24. What will then be said to the sheep, or righteous?
“Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world,” Matthew 25:34.
25. Where will this kingdom be located?
“And the kingdom and dominion, and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the Most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey Him,” Daniel 7:27.
NOTE: May God hasten the time when the conclusion of this lesson will be made a reality.
E-T-E-R-N-I-T-Y, The LONGEST name for Time
That mighty ONENESS of eternal day;
Ever and anon its GLORY will shine,
Recording CYCLES of time FAR away.
No tears, No DEATH, no crying_no more strife,
Immortal LIFE, with nothing to annoy;
Through endless DAY eat from the TREE of life,
Yielding FRUIT, for ALL the saved to enjoy.
_ I. S. Sherwin