Lesson for January 21, 2023
PROPHECIES OF DANIEL
Scripture reading: Daniel 9.
Memory verse: Daniel 9:22.
- After the Temple of Solomon was destroyed, Israel was taken captive into Babylon, but how long were they to remain there? Jeremiah 25: 10, 11.
- After they were gathered back from this dispersion, what was to happen to Babylon? Verse 12, 13.
Note. It is a known fact, according to the scriptures as well as history, that the Jews were regathered to Jerusalem and another Temple was erected where Solomon’s Temple stood.
- As Daniel was praying for the restoration of Israel, who visited him? Daniel 9:20, 21.
- For what purpose did Gabriel visit Daniel? Verse 22, 23.
- What was the length of time then given to the people of Israel to make an atonement for sins and to make reconciliation for iniquity? Verse 24.
- In regard to the punishment of Israel, what period of time did one day represent? Ezekiel 4:5, 6.
Note. As there was appointed unto Israel each day for a year, during these periods of punishment, it is logical and scriptural to apply the same rule to the periods of punishment that were to follow. Therefore this 70 week period would be 7 times 70 or 490 years, as there are seven days in a week.
- Gabriel gave Daniel the assurance that a commandment was to go forth to rebuild Jerusalem sometime. After it went forth how long was it to be until the Messiah? Daniel 9:25 (first part).
- Was Jerusalem to be rebuilt during a time of peace or trouble? Verse 25 (last part).
- What was to happen to the Messiah after the sixty two weeks plus this first seven weeks, making 69 weeks? Verse 26 (first part).
- Who was to follow after the Messiah? What was he to do? Verse 26 (last part).
Note. This was Titus the commander of the Roman armies that besieged Jerusalem the year 70 A.D., totally destroying the city and the 2nd Temple.
- What was to happen in the middle of this last and 70th week? Verse 27 (first part).
Note. This was the cutting off, or the crucifixion of the Messiah, which event brought to an official end the purpose and the need of the law of pardon by the blood of the “Sacrificial Lamb” and brought on a new dispensation of Grace.
- What was to happen after the crucifixion in connection with the abomination of desolation? Verse 27 (last part). How long was the desolation to last?