Lesson for June 16, 2018
PUTTING OFF THE OLD — PUTTING ON THE NEW
Scripture reading: Romans 6.
Memory verse: Col. 3:9.
- When man repents and avails himself of redemption through Christ Jesus our Lord, what must he do? Acts 2:37-41.
Note. — This water baptism was given to men who repented and wished to take their stand for Christ Jesus, and reject the sins of this world.
- What does baptism mean, and what does it accomplish for all who humble themselves and are obedient unto Him who has called man to come unto Him? Rom. 6:3
- How does a Christian act, and what does a Christian put away when converted, baptized into Christ Jesus? Rom. 6:1, 3, 4-8.
- Is the new birth and water baptism necessary in order to enter into the kingdom of God? John 3:5-7.
- How does the great apostle Paul express this? Col. 2: 11, 12.
- What is another reason stated by the Word, that water baptism is necessary? Col. 3:1, 2, 5, 9; Acts 22:16.
Note. — The rising up from the watery grave of baptism is an essential condition which is necessary in order to become a new creation in Christ Jesus, for whosoever is born again is born anew, born by an operation of God. A new life is necessary, not only to walk in newness of life (Rom. 6:4) but even to form the correct conception of the kingdom of God.
- What does the apostle Paul say that baptism does for us? 1 Pet. 3:21.
- How effective is the blood of Jesus in cleansing us from all sin and shame? 1 Cor. 6:11.
Note. “To be born again is the beginning of a new life. A new life striving for perfection in Christ Jesus. When the old man is put off it is not a constitutional change; a converted man still thinks, reasons, desires, loves, remembers and works. But the chief subjects of thoughts, of love, of hatred, are changed; they are revolutionized. It is the most radical change of which human character is susceptible. It is a change from sin to holiness, It is a wonderful experience to be born again into the family of God.