Lesson for May 23, 2020
POWER OF HEAVEN OBTAINED BY PRAYER
Scripture reading: Matthew 6:1-19.
Memory verse: Luke 11:13.
- How does the Psalmist address the Heavenly Father? Psalms 65:2.
- What is prayer? Psalms 142:1.
- Where do we gain the greatest victories? Genesis 32:28; Hosea 12:4.
- What instruction is given regarding prayer? Luke 21:36; 1 Thessalonians 5:17; Colossians 4:2.
- Why should we be diligent in prayer? 1 Peter 5:8.
Note: The darkness of the evil one encloses those who neglect to pray. The whispers of the enemy entice them to sin; it is all because they do not use the privilege given them in the divine appointment of prayer.
- What example did Jesus give concerning prayer? Mark 1:35; Luke 22:44; Hebrews 5:7.
Note: Jesus, God’s only begotten Son, found comfort in communion with the Heavenly Father. He knew the value and need of prayer. How much more we need this help. For without Him we can do nothing.
- Was Jesus sure that the Heavenly Father always heard His prayer? John 11:41-42.
- Must we have the same assurance? Matthew 6:7, 8; James 5:17, 18.
- On what condition has the Lord promised to grant our petition? John 15:7; 1 John 3:22; 5:14, 15.
- Why does it sometimes seem that the Lord does not heed to our prayers? Proverbs 28:9; James 1:6.
- What wonderful encouragement is given unto those who pray when in trouble? Psalms 46:1, 2; 107:6.
Note. Let us keep our needs, our joys, our sorrows, our cares before Him. We cannot weary the Lord. He who numbers the very hair of our head is not indifferent to the needs of His children.
- Do our prayers really ascend to the Lord in Heaven? Revelation 8:3; 5:8.