Lesson for November 18, 2023
DAVID ANOINTED KING
Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 16.
Memory Verse: 1 Samuel 16:13.
- What question did the Master ask, when Samuel mourned for Saul? 1Samuel 16:1.
Note: Every true servant in all ages has compassion. It is a wicked heart that rejoices over the one who falls away. Paul says: Those who are spiritual should restore the fallen. Galatians 6:1. Samuel would have done this, but God had already rejected Saul. Saul’s disobedience was Willful.
- How did Samuel feel about anointing another? How was he advised to disarm Saul’s suspicion? Verses 2, 3.
- On coming to Bethlehem, how was he regarded? What was his mission? Verses 4, 5.
- What was the prophet Samuel’s first impression of Eliab? Verses 6, 7.
Note: Man-made plans and guess work are sapping the vitality of the church today. The Almighty has an overall plan for man. He wants us to fit into His plan, not try to fit Him into ours.
- How many of Jesse’s sons were made to pass before Samuel? Verses 10-12.
- Did the Spirit alight on the youngest son of Jesse after he was anointed by Samuel? Verse 13.
- What is said of king Saul’s spiritual condition from then on? Verse 14.
- How did David behave “in all his ways” before the people? 1 Samuel 18:14, 16.
Note: In spite of all the hatred in Saul’s heart and his purpose to kill David becoming stronger, David still continued his exploits and remained a true servant to God and the king.
- When Saul made his last attempt to kill David, what strange incident occurred? 1 Samuel 26:2,7-12.
- What sorrowful lamentation did David make over Saul and Jonathan? 2 Samuel 1:23-27.
Note: “Ye mountains of Gilboa, let there be no dew, neither let there be rain, upon you, nor fields of offerings: for there the shield of the mighty is vilely cast away, the shield of Saul, as though he had not been anointed with oil.” Verse 21.