1. After Christ’s death, burial and resurrection from the dead, He ascended into heaven and a cloud received Him out of the sight of the apostles. Is there any evidence found in the scriptures that he will ever come back to the earth again?
“And when He had spoken these things, while they beheld He was taken up: and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold two men stood by them in white apparel: which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven,” Acts 1:9-11.
2. How long must the heavens receive and retain Jesus Christ, and when will God send Him back to the earth?
“And He shall send Jesus Christ which before was preached unto you; Whom the heaven must receive, until the times of the restitution of all things,” Acts 3:20, 21.
3. Were Jesus’ apostles interested in the subject of His returning to the earth, and what question did they ask Him?
“And as He sat upon the Mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately saying, Tell us when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of Thy coming and of the end of the world?” Matthew 24:3.
4. After Jesus answered their question by telling them of many conditions that would come upon the world, and important events that would happen, what did He say of His returning to the earth?
“Immediately after the tribulation of those days, shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven; and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory,” Matthew 24:29, 30.
5. What do we find in the New Testament gospel according to Paul regarding the second coming of Christ?
“And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven, with His mighty angels,” II Thessalonians 1:7.
“The Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trump of God,” I Thessalonians 4:16.
6. How old is the doctrine of Christ’s second coming?
“And Enoch also the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these saying, behold the Lord cometh with ten thousands of His saints, to execute judgment upon all,” Jude 14, 15.