Lesson for March 23, 2019
THE CONCEPTION AND BIRTH OF JESUS
Scripture reading: Matthew 1:16-25.
Memory verse Matthew 1:18.
- What message did the angel give to Mary? Luke 1:28-31.
- Was Mary surprised at what the angel told her? Luke 1:34; Matt. 1:18.
Note. — The Holy Scriptures tell us that Mary was a chaste virgin that she knew not a man. She was engaged to be married to Joseph, but before he knew her as his wife, she was with child by the Holy Ghost. Matt. 1:18-20; Luke 1:35.
- What was the relationship between Joseph and Mary before the birth of Jesus? What was the source of Christ’s conception? Matt. 1:18; Luke 1:35.
- What did Isaiah prophesy about this wonderful event? Isa. 7:14; compare with Matt. 1:23; Luke 1:31.
- What did Joseph intend to do? Matt. 1:19.
- What did the angel of the Lord make known unto Joseph in a dream? Matt. 1:18-25.
- When Joseph and Mary arrived at Bethlehem how welcome were they? Luke 2:4-8.
- What name was given to the child by the angel even before he was conceived? Matt. 1:25.
- How is the importance of this name emphasized? Acts 4:10-12: Phil. 2:9-11.
- What does Paul say about the fulfillment of this? 1 Tim. 3:16.
Note. — This prophecy and its fulfillment has been the target of infidels and modernist for centuries. Here the power of God was manifested by the miraculous conception and birth of his dear Son, Jesus. Again and again, Jesus told His listener that He came down from above and that God was His Father.
- What happened while the shepherds were keeping watch over their flocks? Luke 2:8-14.
- What experience did they have with the angels? How did this effect them? Luke 2:9.
- What sign was given to them regarding this child? Luke 2:12.
- What glorious scene were the shepherds allowed to witness? Luke 2:13-14.
- How did the angels express their joy at this time, for what had taken place? Luke 2:14.
- How did the shepherds respond to this announcement? Luke 2:16-20. Should this be an example for us? Isaiah 12.