Lesson for May 9, 2020
THE FORMER RAIN
Scripture Reading: Joel 2:12-32
Memory Verse: Joel 2:23
- Through what natural source does our Heavenly Father cause the land to prosper? Lev. 26:4,5
- What does He call the source of this natural blessing? Deut 28:12, Malachi 3:10 last part
- What was Israel required to do when the time for rain came? Zech: 10:1,
- What was the condition of the land when good Lord withheld the rain? Joel 1:12, 17, 18
- Under what conditions was Israel made glad again? Joel 2:23, 24
- Under this rain what would be restored? Verses 25 – 27
Note: It’s evident from the foregoing and other practical experiences that without rain there will be no vegetation; the natural outcome would be starvation for both man and beast. The same is true with us without the Holy Spirit.
- What does the Heavenly Father use the natural rain to symbolize? Hosea 6:1-3
Note: Here the good Lord designates the spiritual blessings as the former and the later rain.
- What other promise was made under this figure? Joel 2:28-29
- When was this symbolic promise fulfilled? Acts 2:1-4.
- How do we know that our interpretation is correct? Verses 14-17
- What reason did Peter give why Christ gave this manifestation? Verses 32, 33.
- How did this sermon affect them? What was their request? Verses 37.